Monday, March 10, 2008

Spitzer's Got Me Spittin' Mad

Eliot Spitzer, what in the hell were you thinking?

That's the question that's at the top of my mind at the moment. On a day when I knew that I'd be commenting on something, the last thing I expected it to be was a prostitution scandal involving a Governor with a mostly squeaky clean reputation. When I awoke this morning, the news seemed rife with several plum topics, any of which would have been worthy of examination and perhaps even a small rant. Among my choices were:

Any of these Republican led disgraces and catastrophes would have been a suitable topic, but no, instead the headline stealer is my own, apparently, whore mongering Governor. I wrote to him today and here's what I wanted to say:

Eliot **G-DDamn** Spitzer. You stupid, hypocritical motherf**cker.

Here's what I actually said:



"Dear Gov. Spitzer:

It is with deep regret that I find myself writing to you today. I greatly admire the work that you did as state Attorney General and when the time came to cast my vote for Governor, I gladly pulled the lever for you.

As we are just over 14 months into your term, I have become increasingly concerned about your leadership. Early on, it was alleged that you ordered the State police to investigate Senator Bruno, with the apparent hope that he might be caught in illegal activity. While I am no fan of Mr. Bruno's, I found this allegation troubling. Today, I was stunned to hear of your alleged involvement with prostitutes and of what is just short of an admission of guilt on your part. I am used to reading about corruption and law breaking on the part of our Republican counterparts, but from a Democrat and one of your reputation, I am frankly, saddened and disappointed.

If this allegation is true, you have disgraced your office, our party and perhaps most importantly, yourself. I hope with all sincerity that you are able to mend the breach within your family and that together you can heal the hurt. However, I do not feel that in light of this situation it is either tenable or desirable for you to remain as Governor of New York State. Unless you can assure your constituents that these allegations are entirely false, it is in the best interest of New York State that you resign your office."



I expect better from my elected officials, regardless of their party affiliation. In a time when corruption, homophobia and religious zealotry seems to have defined the Republican Party, I especially expect better from members of my own.

If all is as it appears to be, Governor Spitzer needs to leave office, and he needs to do so now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sad, sorry excuse for a husband and father. I would be less disappointed if he had not stood as a beacon of righteousness for New Yorkers. Mind you, if his sexual proclivities were such that he was sparing his wife (or, dare I say, teenage daughters?) from an abhorrent inclination, it may be that the price of sex was worth it. If his political career, marriage, and respect of his family was balanced against his need for extreme S & M, cutting, caecophilia, or whatever and he CHOSE the sex over everything else, so be it. He's made his choice. Just a shame his family did not have power to save themselves from his lust.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home